First Wedding Cake



My friend asked me last December if I would do her a favor and make her wedding cake. I couldn't believe it at first. I felt some mixed feelings between excited, scared, and confused. I've always wanted to challenge myself and what is a better way to do it than making a wedding cake!

So, ever since that day, I did a lot of research, and I meant A LOT!!! I read hundreds of discussion forums, asked some wedding cake makers, looking at thousands of wedding cake pictures, etc. After some ups and downs and after at least a hundred changed designs and cake flavors, we (the bride and I) settled on a design and flavor.

To make the very long story short, the wedding was on last Saturday, June 21 2008. The theme color is peach and pink. The cake itself is a four-tiered cake, with 5 layers of cakes and 4 layers of fillings inside each tier. The cakes were all sponge cakes, baked fresh from scratch. Each layer was baked in separate pan because the cake was so soft and fragile that it can't be baked in one high pan and cut it into different layers. So, if you do the math, you'll know how many times or how many cakes I had to make. Not to mention that I forgot to incorporate the flour in one batch of batter, causing the cakes and 15 egg yolks go to waste. There are still a lot of stories behind the making of this cake, but it's just too much details.


It wasn't perfect, of course. There are still a lot of room for improvement, but hey, this is my first one. There are some people who had second, even third :). The color of the roses is not actually what I wanted, but that's the best we can get at the store that day. Everybody said it was really nice and the taste is very good too (hopefully they weren't saying that just to be nice to me:( ).

Now, I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted up from my shoulder. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed every part of it. Although this cake caused me a lot of mental pain and stress :P, I just can't wait to make another one!


7 comments:

Rita said...

Bertha,wed cakenya bagus banget....duh mimpi kapan bisa bikin yg seperti itu...congrats ya......

Breadpitt said...

the wedding cake looks great....

Bertha said...

Hi Rita, thank you for the comment. Your blog also has some yummy looking cakes ;)

Breadpitt, thanks for the comment too. I just visited your blog and oh my, I'm speechless. I've been dying to make cakes like that, but I guess I just have to keep practicing, although I doubt it that I'll be as good as you:)

Anonymous said...

bertha, wed cakenya buaaggggusss pol. semoga bisa bikin2 lagi in the future yah. maju terus! :)

Unknown said...

Berr... the cake was more than perfect than I could have imagined! You did a great job and thank you so much again for baking my wedding cake. I was very honored and touched :) You are an awesome baker!

Anonymous said...

taaaa!!wed cakenya bagus bangettt!!gua suka bgt ama detailnyaa..looks really really really really really really beautifulll..I wish I have a wedding cake like that but taller!!hahhaha... -pipi-

Snooky doodle said...

wow this is awesome. It's perfect. you re really talented :)